Six Warning Signs of Outdated or Damaged Electrical Wiring in Your Home

electrical wire damageOver 50,000 house fires are ignited by electrical failure at home, according to the Electrical Safety Foundation International (ESFI). However, many of these fires can be prevented by knowing the warning signs of outdated or damaged electrical wiring in your home so you can call a licensed electrical contractor to inspect and fix any electrical problems. Even if you do not call HAYNES Electric, please use a licensed electrical contractor for repairs. Contractors know how to make your electrical system safe, not just how to make it work.

  1. Circuit Breaker Trips – A home circuit breaker may trip from time to time. If there are multiple trips in a month, it is a definite sign that there is a problem that needs to be looked at by a licensed electrical contractor.
  1. Damaged Wiring – Damaged wiring is a huge fire hazard to your home. Often, this is caused by rodents or pets chewing on wiring or of work done by non-professionals. If you find damage to your wiring, call a licensed electrical contractor for repair.
  1. Buzzing and Flickering Lights – Another sign that there could be a problem with electrical wiring in your home is if your lights buzz or flicker when on. Your electrical system may need an upgrade by a licensed professional to handle the electrical needs of your home.
  1. Warm Outlets – An easy way to check your outlet is to directly feel it without directly touching any wiring. If the outlet feels warm, have a licensed electrical contractor look at it to repair any loose or damaged wiring.
  1. Discolored Outlets – If you notice that any of your outlets are discolored or have scorched marks, it is sure sign that your home electrical wiring has been releasing heat and has damaged your home. To prevent further damage, call a licensed electrical contractor to repair and replace the damaged wiring.
  1. Burning Odors – This is a sign that fire damage has already started in your home. If you smell a burning odor from your outlets or electrical panel, it is time to take immediate action. Call the fire department to ensure any possible fire does not spread throughout your home and call a licensed electrical contractor to safely repair any damage to your electrical system.

Should you suspect or detect any electrical issue in your home, do not try to fix it yourself. Call HAYNES Electric and we will send a licensed electrical contractor to safely repair and replace the damage. We are available 24/7 to assist with emergencies as well.